Retail has made it through another lockdown in Ireland.
Having closed the physical doors at Christmas time 2020 with sparkly window displays and an heavy winter wears, we are reopening in a different era.
May 2021 is warmer in many ways; the weather is better, days seem longer and brighter, but most importantly the vaccine roll out is in full swing.
Many business owners I have spoken to during the third lockdown are frustrated, exhausted and unsure of what the future will bring. Regardless of whether they have an ecommerce site, they just don’t know how many people will want to walk through their physical doors over the coming weeks and months.
I’m not going to wish you luck, you don’t need it. You know your customers, you know your store and many of you have been in business for a long time.
- Walk your store several times a day, every day, specifically to check that you are your team are adhering to covid protocols. It is just as important to ensure your own people are safe and secure, as looking after the public.
- Watch and track what is selling, then react accordingly. Use your hotspots carefully to home your hero/ seasonal products that people will want to buy NOW.
- If things go wrong, don’t panic. Customers will be patient and understanding, if they can see that you are managing the situation.
- Are you WOWing with your windows? Make sure that they inspire and delight today and next week. Don’t let your standards slip over the next few weeks.
- Your customers aren’t just coming to touch and feel your stock, they will want to see and talk to YOU! Human interaction will be vital over the coming months and it will increase your sales.
- The customer experience needs to be exceptional. No excuses. Take a look at this blog post.