What does a Mentor do?
I am often asked what a mentor does and how it works if someone hires me to mentor them?
A mentor is defined as ‘an experienced person who advises and helps somebody with less experience over a period of time’.A good mentor supports and advises the mentee in a way that they understand.
How does it work?
I approach mentoring every client and their business individually. I won’t presume, but I will ask LOTS of questions.
I work with a very simple framework– but each client’s ‘plan’ is different, as no two clients or businesses are the same.
- We agree a project plan for the ‘project’ at the start, to set clear and identifiable outcomes from the beginning. The ‘project’ might be a two hour meeting or two months worth of mentoring.
- I will set out timed/key milestones and actions.
- We agree the necessary inputs needed from you and your team, in order to achieve each action identified within the project plan.
- I will conduct our mentor meetings at the agreed times (if we are working together for a period of time), either via Zoom or in person when possible.
- I will conduct major project milestones meetings with you, to discuss progress.
- I will conduct an end of project meeting to ensure we have completed each action identified in the project plan.
- If the mentoring has been conducted on behalf of the Local Enterprise Office or another such agency, we will both be expected to complete the relevant paperwork.
The benefits of mentoring:
- You and your business benefit from being able to ask questions and get advice specific to your needs.
- You get a different perspective to problems and situations that you may not have thought of.
- I won’t just give you advice based on my experience; I’ll share methods, strategies and best practice to support you and your business.
- Being a business owner can be frustrating and stressful, but we’ll build a trusting relationship so that you can share any issues that are worrying you.
- Mentoring can expand your network; I can suggest or introduce you contacts that can support your business, if that’s what you need.
- I’ll give you the confidence to meet your problems head on, find solutions and grow your business. I’ll also give you a gentle push in the right direction, if you’re unsure!